Backup of your Desktop Computer
Every academic and research staff member has a quota of 50Gb of storage through the ITS infrastructure.
Here are the instructions on how to access your network drive:
- Using Windows explorer, click on Tools | Map Network Drive
- Select a drive letter--- Drive: L: (you choose)
- Enter the Folder: as \\uofausers?.ad.adelaide.edu.au\users?\axxxxx? where the axxxxx? Should be replaced with your user ID, and the ? in the address above depend on the last digit in your user ID. If your user id is a123456, then replace all the ? with a 6... eg \\uofausers6.ad.adelaide.edu.au\users6\a123456
- Click on 'Connect using a different user name'
- Enter uofa\axxxxxx, where the axxxxxx should be replaced with your user ID
- Enter your password
- Click Ok.
- Click Finish, and you should see the dialog box "Attempting to connect to ..."
- You should have your network drive available.
These network drives are backed up and have redundancy in a secondary data warehouse that is in a separate location.
A solution is currently being developed to automate the process of copying your important documents to the network drive (as of May 2010).
In the meantime, you can download and install the free Microsoft program SyncToy that can be used to copy your important documents to the network drive.
Instructions for Apple Macintosh Users
- In the Finder, select "Connect to Server..." from the "Go" menu. (Or hit CMD+K.)
- Enter the address as "cifs://uofausers?.ad.adelaide.edu.au/users?/axxxxx?" where the axxxxx? Should be replaced with your user ID, and the ? in the address above depend on the last digit in your user ID. If your user id is a123456, then replace all the ? with a 6... eg cifs://uofausers6.ad.adelaide.edu.au/users6/a123456
- Click the button "Connect" and enter your username (without the uofa/ prefix) and password.
- You can use 'rsync' to copy only the files that have altered since the last backup. For example, using the Terminal application type, 'rsync -avz /Users/will/Thesis /Volumes/a1063023/Backup/Thesis'